My Response to Week 5: Discussion on Big Eyes

1. Margaret Keane's artwork is very weird to me but oddly satisfying to look at, though I would not buy it, I would definitely pay seven bucks to see it in an art gallery. The work was definitely not kitsch in my opinion, but it was different than any other art piece I have seen created in the 1950s and 60s, it has this unique touch and meaning to it that I really appreciated.

2. From what I have learned, Walter's gift was taking credit and convincing people he created all these art pieces. He lied about it so well to the point where almost everybody had no doubt towards him. Thankfully he got what was coming to him in the end leaving Margaret with all the recognition she deserved. If Walter had figured out his gift in selling stuff, he might have pursued it and Margaret would not have gone through this entire ordeal.

3. I'm pretty sure Walter would have ended up succeeding in selling any other work and Margaret would not have ended up with all these problems. It was really heartbreaking knowing he hid her away and took all the credit.

4. It is hard to say but definitely more towards Margaret when it comes to finding inspiration and not forcing my own work.

5. I can't say I have ever been jealous of anyone, maybe at one point when I was still in motion design, I became jealous of someone in the same year because of how successful their work came to be. Although it pushed me to strive and compete with them in becoming a better motion designer, I did not realize that what I was pushing for was not my overall passion in the end.

6. I have never really dealt with anyone that has had any jealousy towards my or my own gifts.

7. It conveyed that back then men were considered superior in the household and that Margaret really did not have an opportunity to express her work. It bothered me to hear from the priest that she had to continue doing what she ultimately hated because of that whole issue. Although it was a pain to see her struggle with being silenced by Walter, I was glad to hear that there was a resolution in the end despite it affecting her life.

Comments