My Response to Week 2: Documentary Filmmaking

1. I like to think that the short film "Things to Remember" by Ryan Garrett was done in an expository mode because it was very informative on the events that took place. What was supplied throughout every scene were thousands of photographs taken long ago of the town itself, snips of audio from citizens that had lived there at the time, and the letters from people who had encountered the bombings in Japan. Specifically the photographs defined this film, if we did not have them then it would have been hard to get an idea on how life was for the people who were secluded in the small town, the creation of uranium, and the man who had the courage to take photos of the aftermath of the bombings. Everything fit in perfectly and made sense from one event to the next.

2. All I can say is that I appreciate the filmmaker's additional automated voice because it filled the entire gap of the story, I was not left confused or disinterested but intrigued by the story, especially when they included it in the letters from the man who experienced the bombings first hand. To me using the automated voice for the letters gave emphasis to the writer because this event was traumatic and unexpected. It did not need someone who had experienced the event, the voice was enough to give me an understanding that this was in fact a horrific scene to describe.

3. The photographs taken by Eggleston and the audio from citizens who were living in the town that had produced the necessary materials to conduct nuclear weapons made the story far more intriguing and surprising than I had originally expected. From the music to the photos, everything in composition was well constructed and clearly easy to understand, nothing stood out confusing or difficult to understand.

4. I can without a doubt admit that this film is a fact because there are far more unusual things I have learned in history that cannot even compete with this story. The information provided throughout this film though some might believe is fiction were definitely clear, I mean the photographs, the old audio from citizens, the letters, the bombings, it all made sense to me because however crazy the story may seem, anything is possible.

Comments